By MASIDING NOOR YAHYA
MARAWI CITY: Even as Maranao leaders reiterate their demand for Secretary Eduardo del Rosario to resign as head of Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM), they also plan to bring back Marawi evacuees to their homes with or without government consent.
They said it is high time the President give heed to this demand after del Rosario has failed to deliver expectations and has instead brought misery and hardship to many IDPs than recovery.
TFBM is the lead government agency tasked for the reconstruction and rehabilitation of Marawi City devastated by the siege laid by extremists and terrorist on May 23, 2017 and the ensuing bloody fights that lasted for about five months.
Haroun Alrashid A. Lucman, former regional vice governor of the defunct Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) in a text message said, “The reason we were calling for del Rosario’s resignation is because he has failed to deliver the expectations.”
Lucman said the call is not for the abolition. “What is needed is change of leadership,” he added.
“We are now seriously planning to bring our people back to their homes with or without government consent,” he said.
“Government failure leaves us (with) no other choice. What our people see now is a government depriving them of their basic rights,” he pointed out.
Sultan of Marawi Hamidullah Atar has also reiterated the call for del Rosario to resign.
Atar said their stand is firm. “TFBM del Rosario has brought misery and hardship to many IDPs than recovery. He needs to resign if he still has remaining delecadeza,” the Sultan who is also a known Maranao civi leader said.
On his part, Bayan G. Balt, former president of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines-Marawi City and Lanao del Sur chapter, said it’s time for Sec. del Rodario and his TFBM to leave now for their unsatisfactory works.
“The fact that for almost three years now since the siege, some are still living in tents and our IDPs, who cannot return to their homes, may run out of patience,” Balt said.
“The situation may spark another unfavorable event,” he pointed out.
Balt is recommending DPWH Undersecretary Emil K. Sadain as Del Rosario replacement, as a Muslim career official responsible for the rehab of areas outside GZ. He said Sadain can best implement the work.
In several instances, Marawi evacuees and leaders had sought for the abolition of TFBM or the resignation of del Rosario as TFBM chair and asked Duterte to replaced him.
Datu Meno Manabilang, chair of Sowara Miyamagoyag, a group composed of over 200 thousand IDP members, even went last year to the Ombudsman to file a case against del Rosario and National Housing Authority (NHA) General Manager Marcelino Escalada Jr. for graft charges over the delayed rehabilitation projects for the Marawi siege victims.
(Read: Task Force, NHA heads face raps)
All the cries for del Rosario to resign landed on deaf ears and he is still at the helm in running the Marawi rehabilitation despite oppositions from the evacuees themselves and their leaders.
The situation may spark new hostility
On Wednesday, Sultan of Guimba Sani, a member of the Bangsamoro Parliament, asked those from Luzon and Visayas allegedly exploiting the protracted rehabilitation of the devastated Marawi Ground Zero (GZ) to leave and allow the immediate return of the evacuees and build their homes their way.
Sani expressed his emotional outburst in an orientation conference held at the Marawi Resort Hotel attended by the Bangsamoro Transition Authority (BTA), TFBM and other stakeholders about the status of rehabilitation and reconstruction of the city from the havocs of the May 23, 2017 siege.
You should return to luzon and Visayas. Leave us alone. We are not mendicants. Hindi po kami hihingi sa inyo. Kami po ay mararangal na tao. Marawi now has become a milking cow. Iwanan nyo kami ibigay ninyo ang dignidad ng mga Maranaw hindi sapat na binibigyan ninyo kami. Leave us alone! Pabalikin ninyo kami sa ground zero!”
MP Sani was referring to the TFBM officials and the contractors from outside Mindanao they hired to rebuild Marawi.”
Sani strongly-worded outburst has drawn tens of thousands comments in Social Media which are a hundred percent in his support.
“Without any negative reaction or comment to his action,” one writer said, “it goes to show that truly he speaks the true feelings, sentiments and aspirations of the Maranaos, in general, and the Marawians, in particular.”
This growing viral in Social Media should not let go unabated; it should not be taken for granted.
As Atty. Bayan Balt said, “The situation may spark another unfavorable event,” he meant this growing online viral should not go unabated. – MNY
Categories: Headline News