DAVAO CITY, June 1 (PNA) — The Tuesday night press conference turned melodramatic when President-elect Rodrigo Duterte played his campaign jingle to serve as guideline to the people in government and the Filipinos on his anti-corruption drive and his all-out war against illegal drugs and criminality.
It was his answer to a question what his yardstick would be of his satisfaction over his Cabinet’s performance. “This will be a guideline for all those corrupt…those who are not corrupt. This is directed for all Filipinos,” he told reporters in a press conference on Tuesday night at the Presidential Guest House located along the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) depot in Panacan.
The campaign song by Freddie Aguilar is about the Filipinos’ wish for real change under his administration. The song also sends the message of the Filipinos’ hatred of corrupt officials, drugs and crime. It also calls for the Filipinos to unite and stand for change.
But Duterte guaranteed that his chosen Cabinet members are men and women of integrity and honesty, otherwise, he already dropped them as nominees.
“It’s not a simple job composing the Cabinet. It took me several days when I’m not around in the public eye. I am reviewing papers of the recommendees. I can assure you they are all men of integrity and honesty,” assured Duterte.
In choosing his Cabinet members, he cited a scripture of righteousness, saying, “I am reminded of the man holding a lamp during daytime. He was asked why are you bringing a lamp in the daylight when you can see everything? The man said because I am looking for an honest man.”
He also assured the Filipinos and the Cabinet members that he will level the playing field by not interfering in their work. He emphasized that a Cabinet member is an alter ego of the president, so he must be one “who I can trust, who I’m confident to work with.”
The President-elect also said he does not want to see long lines of people seeking government service. He said he wants fast and efficient government service and documents must be out in 72 hours while big-ticket project papers should be out in less than a month.
On Tuesday night, Duterte through incoming Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo presented the members of the Cabinet after their three-hour meeting. They are:
1) Executive Secretary – Salvador Medialdea
2) Presidential Spokesperson – Salvador Panelo
3) Secretary to the Cabinet – Leoncio Evasco
4) National Security Adviser – Ret. AFP Chief of Staff Hermogenes Esperon
5) Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process – Jesus Dureza
6) Presidential Security Group – Col. Rolando Bautista
7) Presidential Assistant for Visayas – Michael Dino
8) Solicitor General – Jose Calida
9) National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) – Ernesto Pernia
10) Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) – Ex-South Cotabato Governor Mike Sueno
11) Undersecretary, DILG – Ret. Special Action Force Chief Catalino Cuy
12) Department of National Defense (DND) – Ret. Scout Ranger commander Delfin Lorenzana
13) Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) – Perfecto Yasay Jr. (acting)
14) Department of Agriculture (DA) – Emmanuel Pinol
15) Department of Justice (DOJ) – Vitaliano Aguirre
16) Department of Energy (DOE) – Alfonso Cusi
17) Department of Finance (DOF) – Carlos Dominguez
18) Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) – Mark Villar
19) Department of Education (DepEd) – Leonor Briones
20) Department of Budget and Management (DBM) – Benjamin Diokno
21) Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) – Silvestre Bello III
22) Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) – Arthur Tugade
23) Department of Science and Technology (DOST) – Fortunato dela Pena
24) Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) – Raphael Mariano
25) Department of Social Welfare and Development – Judy Taguiwalo
26) Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff – Lt. Gen. Ricardo Visaya
27) Philippine National (PNP) Chief – Chief Superintendent Ronald dela Rosa
28) Bureau of Immigration and Deportation (BID) – Ret. PNP Officer Jaime Morente
29) Land Franchising Regulatory Board (LTFRB) – Atty. Martin Delgra
30) National Bureau of Investigation Commissioner (NBI) – NBI 11 Regional Director Dante Gierran
31) National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRMMC) – Ricardo Halad
32) Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) – Ret. Police Gen. Isidro Lapena
33) Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) – Andrea Domingo
Duterte said he is yet to choose among the nominees for the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI).
He said he also needs to look for a “berdugo” in fixing the Philippines Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), alleging that PCSO is both into illegal and legal activities.
“I need somebody to fix that agency, hanap ng berdugo (looking for an executioner),” he said.
Duterte said he still searching for the right ones to head the Department of Tourism, Department of Health and Technical Education and Skills Development Authority although earlier he said he was already eyeing someone coming from the ranks.
He also said he is ready to reappoint them again and again if they fail to get approval from Congress. (PNA)